An ancient Hebrew prophet who led his family and a few followers from Jerusalem to a promised land in the Americas (about 600 BC).
- Lived during the reign of King Zedekiah, contemporary with Jeremiah
- Husband of Sariah, Father of Laman, Lemuel, Sam, Nephi, Joseph, Jacob
- Prophesied among Jews but was rejected
- Fled Jerusalem with his family at the command of the Lord, leaving his wealth and more behind
- Descendant of Joseph of Egypt (through Manasseh)
- Had several divinely inspired visions
- Taught and blessed his posterity